September 25, 2010

Fall?

Here in the Pacific NW we don't really see a "hot" summer. We usually have 1, maybe 2 weeks of "unbearable" heat, says the natives. Other then that it's mild to say the least. Around this time, fall is usually in full swing, with it's cold cloudy days. Today however, was a beautiful 75 degree day. Just enough warmth for some shorts and outside projects. The dresser I was working on this summer is still being worked on. It's a pretty big project. One I'm not sure will ever be completed, due to the condition and repair it needs. I'm not sure it's worth the effort. But it fits in my storage, so there it will stay for now. Today I worked on a new project. A shelf. It's for a friend, a friend I've never met. She lives in Japan with her husband and 2 beautiful girls. They are there because that is where the army sent them. Their arrival back to the states after almost 2 years (not certain of the time frame) will be in November. She is a dear friend of my soon to be husband, and we plan on welcoming them back with lots of love. With that said, I'm starting in on this project with little direction, but so many ideas. I debated on the vintage carousel theme for my little ones room, but went with purples and greens instead. So I really have ideas along those lines, since she is thinking about horses of all sorts for her girls room. But I'm nervous to do a retro, antiqued piece without knowing what exactly her plans are. So I'm waiting... I did however, build the piece myself :D I'm very proud! Hehe. This is the start, no final pictures until I'm sure she won't see this.


It's a simple shelf, but I wouldn't take on a bigger project that I wasn't sure I could handle. I only have a little over a month to get it right ;)



It is painted now, but only the first coat of a color I'm not sure will stay... so you'll have more to see later!

Oh and dinner, was a homemade chili and baked potatoes. If you don't make your baked potatoes sliced open and rolled in butter/olive oil and then rolled in sea salt and cracked pepper... you don't know what you're missing out on. Thank you North Carolina for showing me how it's done!


Just slice with a knife (not all the way through) in a star pattern, roll in butter/oil mix, then salt/pepper mix, and bake in a baking dish for 90 minutes, and... tada! The best baked potato you'll ever eat :) Or so says this pregnant girl.

Chili came out fantastic as always. I'll get around to typing out the recipe for anyone who wants it and doesn't have it some other day... I'm sure there will be chili a plenty this winter.


Chili on potato mess... yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment