September 22, 2010

Basics.

So I'm the 'meatless super mom', I know. Yet I post meat recipes all the time. Ha. I've always been about pleasing other people. I hardly ever do anything for myself which is the only way I can accomplish the 'super mom' part. Or at least that is my feelings on that. So, this is why I make meat. For this particular post, I will be eating the broth. I bought an organic free range chicken, which I claim I will eat since the chicken hasn't been treated inhumanely, but I just can't do it. However, tomorrow night or the one following, I will enjoy the juices :)



Roasted Chicken

4.5 pound chicken, rinsed and gutted
salt and pepper

1/2 stick butter, melted
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary

Salt and pepper the chicken. Mix the butter and herbs in a bowl, then rub all over the chicken. Let the chicken set for 2 hours.





Preheat the oven to 425.
Cook for 1 1/2 hours. Rule of thumb, if you need to get a different size chicken, is 20 mins per pound.

After 1 hour, flip the bird. Wait 20 mins and flip again for the last 10 minutes, then take out the bird and let it cool.


I made quinoa as well... and if you've never had it, I strongly recommend trying it out. It's one of my favorites.
Cooks the same as rice, 2-1 ratio, and best made with broth.



If you plan on making a stock, remove all chicken from the bones. In a stock pot, throw in the bones, skin, left over pieces and drippings from the pan. Add 4 bay leaves, 1 onion, 4 cloves of garlic, and tsp of mustard seeds. Fill with water until covered and a little extra.

Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2+ hours. Taste test along the way.



My house smells divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment